Thursday, August 16, 2012
The Storm from Wisconsin
I prayed for a storm
to rip over lake Michigan
and It is you, those eyes
of God, everywhere
I look. From the porch
of my small townhouse,
from the window of my office,
from the shores of the lake
and the banks of the river.
I know this pain.
It will wash over me
with gale force winds,
an el derecho
[through my heart].
I live to watch you
from a distance
and wonder
what my world
will look like when
your [truth] hits my sails.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Props for using "el derecho"
Thank you.
I'm still debating using "el derecho" for the redundant gringo aesthetic it produces or to risk being overly grammatically correct and saying, "un derecho." Literally, it now reads "an the derecho;" however, linguistically, it functions as intimate borrowing from substratum language contact.
Although I can make a plausible justification of my usage, I wonder if it comes off as ignorant or strange to the reader.
Any thoughts?
Post a Comment