Monday, December 30, 2013
Trippel Drive
I met two of my old best friends
with a pair of binoculars.
I saw one kid throw a dirt clod
at another kid. I put the binoculars
away and eventually I was standing
below them at the base of a dirt mound.
The classic stand off
of boyhood:
Two new kids
in the neighborhood;
the other,
staking claim to his territory.
The day was shadowless
with a light dust in the breeze.
I saw the one kids eye twitch
so I quickly grabbed a 2X4
and began to run full-speed at him.
Then, I planted the end of the 2X4 into
the ground and pole-vaulted
over a huge hole in the earth
from which the dirt mound
had been displaced.
They stood with terror and excitement
as I flailed over the abyss
screaming like a blood thirsty eagle.
Everything went by in slow-motion,
the sounds of an old Bruce Lee film filled the air
and the moment my feet hit the ground,
we were friends for life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
"We move like real pros through the streets we stroll." And love you as well, Nav.
Post a Comment