Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Photo Prompt: 5 Minute Creativity Exercise.


Here is an interesting photo that I took with my compact digital camera.

What does this photo cause you to think of?  How does it make you feel?  What event, place, time, etc. does it remind you of?  In other words, if it could suddenly come to life and speak, what would it say?  

Now take 5 minutes to write a poem, story, etc. with this picture as inspiration.  The key to this exercise is to be relatively strict with your time limit.  This is not a dissertation prospectus it is creative stimulus.  Do not waste time trying to make logical sense of your sentences and/or syntax.  Move quickly and let you thoughts flow.  If you take your time trying to make sense of the photo, logic and reason will take hold and your thoughts will most likely be less creative and interesting.  (For Example: It is dark and cloudy.  The sun is beginning to set behind the trees).  Just let your thoughts flow.

Here is an example of what I came up within a 5-minute time limit.  I wrote from a free verse poetry approach:

 

Thunder of the mist

Willows-whisper of eve’s hollow eyes

Gray and electric structures

Shake the solar plexus until chakras bleed light

And the cold ubiquitous sky bleeds rocks

I need to build an ark

So that all of my animal friends will be safe from

The son of the morning ice

We will die if our father does not

Invent something new to aid in our survival


Now all you have to do is take it a step further.  Take the ideas, thoughts, sentences, words, etc. that you came up with and expand upon them.  For example, consider the last two lines of my writing: "We will die if our father does not/Invent something new to aid in our survival." Imagine if this was the first line spoken by a narrator in a story or movie, what would happen next!  The possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

Kasey said...

My response is poorly done and silly, but the picture was gorgeous and the idea pretty cool so I figured I'd go ahead with it. I love what you managed to do with your picture, and what you wrote to accompany it. Such an interesting idea! I had meant to get to this sooner but I just hadn't had the time.

Please don't laugh. I thought I'd share what I came up with, silly as it is.


It's still, and yet I know
With each and every breath
that time continues to move.
That orange hue will soon fade away
To gray and black,
Perhaps even blue.
I have no means to capture this
Small moment of perfection
Save for my pen.

And as I write each letter
Slowly, carefully, I find my thoughts
Are focused more on the curves
Of ink on paper, rather than
That perfect moment before me.
I look up. I wish to once again
Catch a glimpse
Of what it was I hoped to keep
Only to realize that it is gone.

While artists try to capture
These things that they so love
The world goes on. And each breath
Is counted
Just as it was before.