Thursday, October 23, 2008

Friday Night Paranormal Phenomena


Starting this Friday, and occasional Fridays after, I will be writing and/or presenting something in the realm of the paranormal: parapsychology, UFO’s, folklore, ghosts, any unexplained supernatural phenomena. 

Many authors of fiction have written stories involving ghosts, UFO’s and other paranormal phenomena. Many musicians have written songs about the paranormal, and there is definitely an array of movies involving paranormal phenomena. Often times, what you see, hear, or read about the paranormal is based on real events reported by bystander and/or people involved. These stories usually develop into folklore and urban legend.

Tonight I am going to talk about the mysterious death of the legendary Mississippi delta blues artist Robert Johnson. Robert Johnson was a blues artist in the 1930s. He died at the age of 27, but the cause of his death is unknown. The legend of Robert Johnson is that he sold his soul to the devil in trade for mastery of the guitar. Johnson talks of this event in his song “Cross Road Blues.”

Some people believe that the devil came back to claim Johnson’s soul after he had master the guitar. In the original recording of “Me and the Devil’s Blues,” Johnson sings the words “you may bury my body, down by the highway side.” In the background of the song, Johnson speaks the words “Baby, I don’t care where you bury my body when I’m dead and gone.” It is believed that Johnson's body may have been buried at the crossroads and that his "evil spirit" can be seen hitching a ride on a Grayhound bus.

4 comments:

Bob_without_a_torso said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeff Tatay said...

I believe that the idea of Robert Johnson's spirit haunting Grayhound buses comes from the last two lines of "Me and the Devil's Blues."

"You may bury my body, ooh down by the highway side/ so my old evil spirt can catch a Grayhound bus and ride"
-"Me and The Devil's Blues"-Robert Johnson-

JMO said...

I think this is a great idea for a regular feature. You could make it stand out by featuring paranormal stories like this one. It's more obscure, and somehow smarter than the usual "Weekly World News" type of stuff. It makes me want to look deeper into the life of this musician.

Nate said...

UFO's are now a phenomenon that the government can no longer claim is explainable in scientific terms. I am not sure whether this puts it into the category of paranormal phenomena, but it is definately a topic worth blogging about. Also, interesting knowlegdge of the legend of Robert Johnson